- Terrapin Fast: New Zaratan High-Performance Computer Boosts UMD Researchers’ Problem-Solving Power
- UMD Introduces “Zaratan” – The Latest Investment in State-of-the-Art High Performance Computing
- Q&A with Tripti Sinha: MAX Among the ‘First to 400G’ on Internet2’s Network
- MAX Joins the Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security (MANRS)
- MAX and Ciena Join Forces to Expand Opportunities for Collaborative Research in the Science and Higher Education Communities
Monthly Archives: December 2022
Terrapin Fast: New Zaratan High-Performance Computer Boosts UMD Researchers’ Problem-Solving Power
When your brain can’t quite handle the math, there’s always your computer to help. For University of Maryland researchers from every school and college whose personal computers have also reached their limits, now there’s Zaratan.
Named for a massive, mythical turtle with roots in medieval Arabic literature, UMD’s new high-performance computer (commonly called a “supercomputer”) can easily crunch through complex computations of the sort that are increasingly central to studies in astronomy, physics, atmospheric science, chemistry and many other disciplines.
UMD Introduces “Zaratan” – The Latest Investment in State-of-the-Art High Performance Computing
After a lengthy competitive bid process and numerous supply chain delays, UMD announced its latest investment in high-performance computing. Given the name Zaratan, after the mythical sea turtle known for its long lifetime and grandiose size, this new flagship HPC cluster will support world-class research at UMD. The university is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of scientific understanding as it commits to empowering its research community with an accessible, superior leading-edge HPC system.
“We take the enablement of science using … Read More